When life gets hectic and crazy, we forget we are in the driver's seat. We forget we have the control to manifest the things and situations we desire in our lives as opposed to feeling that life is just happening to us. The very first step in regaining control is creating a crystal clear vision/ goal. If you are thinking, "This all sounds good, but what if I have no clue what I really want," that's okay. You're a mom, so that means setting aside time to daydream, think, visualize, and journal about what you want isn't probably a part of your daily routine (yet!). You're mantra might be, "I don't have time." Well, Dr. Baker in What Happy People Know talks about this. He reminds us that the fact is clear that there are 24 hours in every day for every person. The problem is not lack of time but lack of clear vision. "To get happiness, or anywhere else, you've got to decide what you really want, and then put your energy where it will do the most good. If you do that, you'll find plenty of time."
So let's get to it! If you want to make happiness a habit in your life, you simply must be intentional and deliberate with your thoughts and actions. If you want things to change for the better, you simply must commit to a practice of doing things that will bring about change. Thus, we've listed a couple very simple and easy ideas to inspire you to make the time for your dreams and visions.
- Create a "WANTS" list: Lists help us organize and clarify our thoughts. So why not create lists about what do you want for your family, your kids, your health, your relationships (including the one with yourself), your career, your home life, etc. Include your spouse and your kids! Talk about what you want as a family. What are your collective goals and aspirations? Why not create a family vision board? This can be a powerful experience for your kids, not to mention a great way to teach them about the power of creating goals and visions. Talk to your kids about what they want. Help them to clarify their passions, desires, and dreams for themselves.
- Make a date with yourself: If you are feeling disconnected from your creative, passionate self, it's time to get connected...with yourself! Perhaps with your favorite coffee drink in hand, head to your local library or Barnes & Noble (sans kiddos) and grab a stack of magazines on topics you are passionate about. Flip through them and let your imagination and dreams soar. For example, say you are a foodie-- as in the Food Network is on 24/7 in your home, your "wish list" for Williams-Sonoma is a mile long, and you feel your most authentic self while preparing gourmet meals for your family. Seize your favorite Bon Appetit and Chef Magazine and consider how you could make your passion your profession! Start a blog that offers moms practical recipes with a gourmet flare, become a food critic, attend culinary school at night… dream of becoming the next Rachel Ray-- gourmet style! Just allow your thoughts run wild.
- SEE it (often) to achieve it: While you are doing the mundane duties of running a household (washing dishes, folding laundry, vacuuming, scrubbing the toilets, etc…), or on your commute to and from work, engage your imagination- Perceive these times as the opportunities that they are-- opportunities to dream and visualize. The more you dream and picture in your mind’s eye your desires, the more power you give them. What we focus on is where our energy goes. A key to manifesting your dreams is to “feed” them with energy.
- Practice MANIFESTING: Start small. Seriously. Sometimes I make it a point to manifest something for the day. For instance, the other day, I told myself I wanted to manifest some sushi! Well, you’ll never guess what I had for dinner that night. My point is this…practice manifesting your desires…any desire. It can be as small as manifesting a great cup of coffee. Doesn’t matter how big or small the thing is you want to attract into your life. The process and resulting feeling is the same; 1) Have a desire, 2) Set about intentional action to get it, and 3) FEEL how good it feels to get what you want. YOU GOTTA WANT IT first!!!
- Create a Vision Board: It’s as easy as it sounds. Get a piece of poster board or even one of those cute fabric tackboards. As you skim through your favorite magazines, rip out the images of the things you desire and post them on your board. Put a pic of your dream kitchen up there. Put inspiring quotes, mindful mama mantras, and positive affirmations on there, too! Put up a favorite pic of your family beaming.
- Journal It: Writing is an incredible way to clarify your thinking, and clear thinking is essential to developing a clear vision. If you are feeling stuck about your dreams/ visions for yourself, take 5 minutes and pick one question below and purge your thoughts on paper:
- What brings vitality to your life?
- What do you want to be known for?
- What's your proudest achievement?
- What does your life stand for?
- What would you sacrifice your life for?
- In what situation do you feel most alive?
- Where/ when do you feel most inspired?
- If you could change ONE thing about your current life situation, what would it be?
- If you had an entire day to do whatever you wanted, what would you do?
- Identify one thing you’d like to manifest in the next 3 months.
*Thank you, What Happy People Know by Dan Baker for the first 5 prompts :)
It doesn't matter what you do to cultivate your dreams. The hardest part is creating a routine. That's usually the biggest obstacle. But if you are able to reach inside yourself and find the smallest spark of motivation to make the time on a regular basis, this practice of focusing on the good will transform your life!